Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Victorian Walk in Guthrie, OK

Hello Blogger Friends!
The weekend before last I went to Guthrie, OK to be a part of the "Victorian Walk" they have every year at Christmas. If you don't know much about Guthrie it was the Territorial Capitol of Oklahoma, until the state seal was stolen and taken to Oklahoma City . . . it was a political thing . There are still many Guthrieites who are still quite angry about that whole terrible mess, but the town still comes together to turn the downtown area into a magical, Victorian town just like it was when it was the first Capitol city of our fine state.

This is me in my BEAUTIFUL and very expensive Victorian dress. I had a petticoat and everything!!! I even had those fantastic black lace up boots on underneath my dress. I ordered the dress from a wonderful dressmaker on the internet and she hand made this one especially for me! Just like in the Victorian days! I was getting worried when it didn't come in the mail right away like most packages do. I felt like Clark Griswald when he didn't get his holiday bonus check and then finally it came. . . the day before I was supposed to wear it! I was so relieved!


James was there too and he dressed to the 9's as well. I think we made a very lovely Victorian couple. He was so excited the whole time we were there. We really had a good time.

Here we are with a community coalition member and her three sweet daughters. The whole reason why we were even a part of this Victorian Walk was so we could provided information to the passers-by about our coalition. We knew that there would be many that would come out for this event and we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to pass our information to the community about the Logan County Partnership. The girls did a great job passing out flyers to everyone that walked by. James and I walked up and down the streets handing out candy canes and gingerbread cookies. The wrappers had stickers on them with information about the coalition. It was an easy and fun way to get the word out.

Everyone was taking pictures of us and we even ended up in the Guthrie newspaper! It was really cold that night so we could only walk up and down the streets for a bit and then we had to go inside a store to warm up. The wind was just terrible and it cut right through you! I wanted to take pictures of the store windows that had live people doing different things with a Victorian theme, but there were so many people on the sidewalks I couldn't get close enough to get good pictures. If you are ever in Guthrie, OK during the holidays you just HAVE to check out the Victorian Walk. It is free and a lot of fun!

Many Blessings to You!
Love Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment